8th Grade Final Exam 1895
Back to Ministry |
Uganda Mission Home
Remember when your grandparents or great-grandparents stated that they only had an 8th grade education? Well, check this out. Could any of us have passed the 8th grade in 1895?
This is the eighth-grade final exam from 1895 in Salina , Kansas , USA . It was taken from the original document on file at the Smokey Valley Genealogical Society and Library in Salina , and reprinted by the Salina Journal.
8th Grade Final Exam: Salina , Kansas - 1895
Grammar (Time, 1 hour)
Arithmetic (Time, 1 hour 15 minutes)
- Give nine rules for the use of capital letters.
- Name the parts of speech and define those that have no modifications.
- Define verse, stanza and paragraph
- What are the principal parts of a verb? Give principal parts of 'lie, ''play,' and 'run.'
- Define case; illustrate each case.
- What is punctuation? Give rules for principal marks of punctuation.
- Write a composition of about 150 words and show therein that you understand the practical use of the rules of grammar.
U.S. History (Time, 45 minutes)
- Name and define the Fundamental Rules of Arithmetic.
- A wagon box is 2 ft. Deep, 10 feet long, and 3 ft. Wide. How many bushels of wheat will it hold?
- If a load of wheat weighs 3,942 lbs., what is it worth at 50cts/bushel, deducting 1,050 lbs. For tare?
- District No 33 has a valuation of $35,000. What is the necessary levy to carry on a school seven months at $50 per month, and have $104 for incidentals?
- Find the cost of 6,720 lbs. Coal at $6.00 per ton.
- Find the interest of $512.60 for 8 months and 18 days at 7 percent.
- What is the cost of 40 boards 12 inches wide and 16 ft.. Long at $20 per metre?
- Find bank discount on $300 for 90 days (no grace) at 10 percent.
- What is the cost of a square farm at $15 per acre, the distance of which is 640 rods?
- Write a Bank Check, a Promissory Note, and a Receipt
Orthography (Time, 1 hour) - Do you even know what this is?
- Give the epochs into which U.S. History is divided
- Give an account of the discovery of America by Columbus
- Relate the causes and results of the Revolutionary War.
- Show the territorial growth of the United States
- Tell what you can of the history of Kansas
- Describe three of the most prominent battles of the Rebellion.
- Who were the following: Morse, Whitney, Fulton , Bell , Lincoln , Penn, and Howe?
- Name events connected with the following dates: 1607, 1620, 1800, 1849, 1865.
Geography (Time, one hour)
- What is meant by the following: alphabet, phonetic, orthography, etymology, syllabication
- What are elementary sounds? How classified?
- What are the following, and give examples of each: trigraph, subvocal, diphthong, cognate letters, lingual
- Give four substitutes for caret 'u.' (HUH?)
- Give two rules for spelling words with final 'e.' Name two exceptions under each rule.
- Give two uses of silent letters in spelling. Illustrate each.
- Define the following prefixes and use in connection with a word: bi, dis-miss, pre, semi, post, non, inter, mono, sup.
- Mark diacritically and divide into syllables the following, and name the sign that indicates the sound: card, ball, mercy, sir, odd, cell, rise, blood, fare, last.
- Use the following correctly in sentences: cite, site, sight, fane, fain, feign, vane , vain, vein, raze, raise, rays.
- Write 10 words frequently mispronounced and indicate pronunciation by use of diacritical marks and by syllabication.
- What is climate? Upon what does climate depend?
- How do you account for the extremes of climate in Kansas?
- Of what use are rivers? Of what use is the ocean?
- Describe the mountains of North America
- Name and describe the following: Monrovia, Odessa, Denver, Manitoba, Hecla, Yukon, St. Helena, Juan Fernandez, Aspinwall and Orinoco
- Name and locate the principal trade centers of the U.S.
- Name all the republics of Europe and give the capital of each..
- Why is the Atlantic Coast colder than the Pacific in the same latitude?
- Describe the process by which the water of the ocean returns to the sources of rivers.
- Describe the movements of the earth. Give the inclination of the earth.
Notice that the exam took 5 HOURS to complete. Gives the saying 'he only had an 8th grade education' a whole new meaning, doesn't it?! No wonder they dropped out after 8th grade. They already knew more than they needed to know! No, I don't have all the answers! And I don't think I ever did!
Back to Ministry |
Uganda Mission Home